JULIEN’S AUCTIONS IS PROUD TO PRESENT THE ALL-STAR LINEUP OF “ICONS & IDOLS: SPORTS" TAKING PLACE MONDAY, DECEMBER 6TH LIVE IN BEVERLY HILLS AND ONLINE AT JULIEN'S LIVE.
View Auction Results
This year end sports auction will feature over 600 treasured pieces of memorabilia, such as full uniforms, game worn jerseys and shirts, sneakers, baseballs and basketballs, trading cards and more, from the all-time greats of their games – Hank Aaron, Michael Jordan, Diego Maradona, Kobe Bryant, Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, LeBron James, Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Pelé and more.
Heading to the auction plate is a historic baseball uniform that represents the glorious 23-year career and ground-breaking achievements of one of the greatest players ever to play the game: Hank Aaron. Offered here is a full Milwaukee Brewers uniform – complete with his blue Pro KM brand cap, his light blue jersey stitched with "BREWERS" and "44" across the front, blue baseball pants, and a wool and cotton baseball undershirt - worn by the baseball icon, throughout his final big-league season in 1976. Additionally, a MacGregor KC1 kangaroo leather baseball glove used by Hank Aaron that same season with the Milwaukee Brewers will also be offered.
The Mobile, Alabama native kicked off his career as an elite hitter with the Indianapolis Clowns of the Negro Leagues before rising through the Minor League ranks in the Milwaukee Braves organization. After making his Major League Baseball with the Braves on April 13, 1954, Aaron would go on to become one of the 20th century’s greatest athletes.
“Hammerin' Hank" Aaron was crowned as the home run king after surpassing Babe Ruth’s record in 1974 and his 755 career home runs stood as the most in MLB history until 2007. He still holds the record for most RBIs (2,297), extra base hits (1,477), and total bases (6,856) – nearly 50 years after his retirement. Aaron also currently sits in third place for career hits (3,771) and fourth place in runs scored (2,174).
His number, 44, was retired by both the Atlanta Braves and Milwaukee Brewers. In addition, he was voted onto the Major League Baseball All-Century Team, as one of just ten outfielders named to the team, having received the third most votes of any player behind only Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1982, the first year he appeared on the ballot. In 1999, the Hank Aaron Award was created and is given annually to the best hitter in both the American League and National League.
Click to Order Limited Edition Catalogue
The original home run king, Babe Ruth’s Hillerich & Bradsby Louisville Slugger Professional Model Bat, engraved "George 'Babe' Ruth" and used between 1922 and 1924 will swing once again at the auction plate. The legendary New York Yankees slugger made excellent use of the 35-ounce, 35-inch bat, which shows heavy use and visible ball marks, by hitting 41 home runs, collecting 130 RBIs, and batting .393 en route to his lone MVP award in 1923. His unprecedented success at the plate helped the Yankees win their first World Series that season. Ruth backed up his impressive 1923 campaign with a league-leading 46 home runs and a .378 batting average in 1924. He would go on to win three additional World Series titles with the Yankees, giving him a total of seven for his career.
Shooting from the world of basketball comes an original limited edition 2000 Los Angeles Lakers sportsman jacket made exclusively for Los Angeles Lakers legend, Kobe Bryant, designed and signed by Jeff Hamilton. The jacket has a stitched-in "Los Angeles Lakers" leather applique, a "Champions 2000" applique and bears the image of the 2000 NBA Finals logo as well as six of the Lakers previous championship banner years (72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88), a stitched-in leather Lakers team logo, and a NBA Western Conference logo and on the back of the jacket a "2000 champions" along with the Lakers team logo, surrounded by laurels - with silver-toned star studs mounted around the logo representing the amount of championships won by the Lakers organization. This championship was the first of three consecutive championship wins (2000-2002) for the Lakers.
One of the most sought-after modern trading cards of all time will appear in the sale of Michael Jordan’s 1986-1987 Fleer #57 basketball rookie card, graded Mint 9 by PSA. Pictured on the card is the legendary 14-time All-Star and five-time MVP gliding over defenders for a jam with his trademark tongue out. The basketball giant led the Chicago Bulls to six NBA championships and won the NBA Finals Most Valuable Player award in each of those championships. Jordan and the '96 Bulls are widely considered the greatest team of all-time, breaking the record at the time for most wins in a season, finishing 72-10, and beating the Seattle Supersonics in six games to win the NBA Championship.
Other top game winning highlights include:
- one of the most sought-after hockey cards of all time – a 1979 Wayne Gretzky O-Pee-Chee rookie card #18, graded NM-MT 8 by PSA;
- items from Argentinian football legend Diego Maradona including an Adidas brand 1993 match-worn Argentina shirt signed and inscribed "con simpatia" by Maradona;
- a Colin Kaepernick signed and inscribed Nevada jersey photo matched by Sports Investors Authentication to the September 13, 2008 game at Missouri, with images of the quarterback and future Black Lives Matter activist wearing this jersey during many games that season;
- a collection representing the extraordinary career of all-time football great, Pelé, including a Pelé signed and inscribed 1971 Athleta brand Santos FC shirt;
- artifacts from legendary forward, Lionel Messi such as a 2020-21 Champions League match worn FC Barcelona shirt and an Adidas brand Argentina shirt match worn by Messi during a 2019 Copa America match;
- Baily's brand brown leather boxing gloves worn by "Sugar Ray" Robinson in his first Middleweight Championship bout against Randy Turpin on July 10, 1951 in London, England which he lost as well as the Benlee brand boxing gloves worn by Robinson in his Middleweight Championship rematch with Turpin at the Polo Grounds in New York City on September 12, 1951 where he regained the World Middleweight title;
- and from the greatest boxer of all time, a limited edition "artist proof" numbered 2/10 giclee print on canvas of Muhammad Ali, created by artist, Stephen Holland and signed by Ali, and more.
If you can't make it out to Beverly Hills to bid in person, you can still watch all the action as well as bid online at Julien's Live
View Auction Results
U.S. EXHIBITION & LIVE AUCTION LOCATION
Julien's Auctions Beverly Hills
257 N. Canon Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
Exhibition: Monday, November 29th, 2021 – Friday, December 3rd, 2021
Daily: 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time
Free to the Public
JULIEN’S AUCTIONS LIVE AND ONLINE AUCTION
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 2ND, 2021
ICONS & IDOLS: HOLLYWOOD DAY 1
Session I (Lots 1-630): 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 3RD, 2021
ICONS & IDOLS: HOLLYWOOD DAY 2
Session II (Lots 631-1222): 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 4TH, 2021
PROPERTY FROM THE COLLECTION OF ELVIRA, MISTRESS OF THE DARK
Session I (Lots 1-449): 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 5TH, 2021
PROPERTY FROM THE LIFE AND CAREER OF SYLVESTER STALLONE
Session I (Lots 1-487): 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time
MONDAY, DECEMBER 6TH, 2021For Inquiries, Please Contact:
ICONS & IDOLS: SPORTS
Session I (Lots 1-652): 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time
Phone: (310) 836-1818 | Fax: (310) 742-0155